View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 2:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Lavecon 2015 - Elite Encounters Sessions 

Well this seems like the perfect place to have a chat about who is wanting to step up and GM a game or two at this years Lavecon 2015

You are going to need this..
1. To be there.
2. An Idea of how to GM
3. ??

I don't know... BUT to support this AMAZING Game that has had me in stitches and sweats....

I WILL SAY AYE.. I will STEP UP..

Dave.......... I was wondering though..

Can we create a resource for all prospective GMS in here as a collective to create good game content?

Should we all run the same story (Yawn <- Bad Idea I think)

Can we have some test runs before hand to make sure we meet the grade..

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:27 am
Site Admin

Hi Psykokow. Thanks for STEPPING UP!

So far, there are two volunteers. I don't think we need too many, since the demand for games may not be that high. Unless the prospective GMs are happy to wander the halls of the convention and tout for players.

I will provide:

- Copy of the rules for each GM, provided in good time for the GM to get up to speed with the rules.
- Crib-sheets with rules for each player
- Blank character sheets
- Some filled in quick start character sheets (pilot, gunner, engineer, medic and/or technician, passenger(s))
- Dice (hopefully)

I think each GM should exercise their imagination and come up with a story on their own, meaning that each group will have its own tailored experience. Trying to shoehorn random players with random characters into a pre-existing scenario can be tricky, so if you are considering being a GM I would recommend coming up with a basic structure for your story and letting the players fill it in. remember the following:

Each session will be 2 hours long.
Character generation should take no longer than 1 hour (half hour if possible).
Session will need to finish on time in case other sessions will be starting later.
Adventure should be completed within the single session time.

Feel free to expand on the above with your own thoughts on how to organise the GMing and your own sessions.

It might be a cool idea to set all the adventures in the same overall setting, with some cross-pollination of characters and events from each scenario. That would give people the feeling of being part of an ongoing narrative, which always increases the enjoyment of these social events. If there's an easy way for that to happen, feel free to do it! :-)

The floor is now open.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Also throwing my hat in the GMing ring.

I've run campaigns, off the cuff adventures, and off the cuff campaigns for Shadowrun, DnD 3rd, and Stargate in the past And could quite cheerfully prepare a scenario or make something up on the day.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:39 pm

A few initial ideas for scenarios, to jam a disparate bunch together and make them work to a common goal -

Hijacked - The players are passengers and crew on an Orca that gets captured by pirates. Can they save the ship or will they be sold into slavery?

One too many - Perhaps the last 5 rounds of drinks last night were a bad idea. Why is the sky pink, and why are there strange people poking me with sharp sticks?

Hard to breathe - The outpost has been hit by an asteroids/stray munitions/a drunk pilot! Can our heroes make it from the stricken shopping centre back to their ships before the air runs out, using only their ingenuity and whatever is left in the mini-market stockroom?

Treble Agent - A spy is suspected of leaking Alliance secrets to both the Federation and the Empire. The players are roped in to catch him in the act and bring him in.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:52 pm
Site Admin

I like the ideas. I ran something very similar to the first one there at Fantasticon, and fun was had by all.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:50 pm

I am excited and concerned, however having a good imagination I know I can just 'bluff' my way through.. and make someone roll when I feel like it.. :D

More telling a story with people, and making them roll to justify the outcome..

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:07 pm

OOh Missplaced trust, A stranger approaches one of the team, says some gibberish and hands them a data slate..

In the bar at Lave Station (with it being Lavecon),

This leads to the team either.... stopping an assassination of Allen Stroud or beating the true assassin to it, to claim the fee.

The real benefit of this one is it can be timed.... ie 1hr to stop the assassin or beat them to it.

Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:11 pm
Site Admin

Grant: remember two things:

1. If a player can roleplay through a situation, consider that a roll may not be necessary. If they are "in character" then let them act their way through it. In your Lave Radio group, Fozza is surprisingly good at this.

2. As GM you have the power to make it seem like any "random occurrence" was planned for. Just smile and quickly come up with something that follows on from the "unexpected action".

I like the "assassination of ALan Stroud" plot. I had thought that the Lave Radio sessions would include his absence from the station as part of the plot, and that you'd find he had planned your discovery of the generation ship, but went off the idea as the story progressed.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:13 am

I'm up for doing some GMing too, if there's a demand. My experience of this is limited, but hopefully some skills as a writer and game designer can feed in...

I'd rather like to do one with a group on an exploration ship that find something interesting out in the black.

Going from previous events I think there will be good demand for RPG sessions, and having more GMs on board means we can keep the group sizes smaller.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:42 pm
Site Admin

Roll call: is everyone here still interested in GMing at LaveCon?

Shout out if you are. Or if you're not. Either way. ;-)

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]