Helloooo - Introduce Yourself

Anything that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Out2lunch

Helloooo - Introduce Yourself

Post by Out2lunch » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:27 am

Hi There Mate,

Just filled out the kickstarter questionnaire for you, and part of it was to come and create a forum name to add to the bottom.

Anyhoo, ive been a gamer for 34 odd years, being 42 now, I play in a regular group where 5 good friends get together for a long weekend 3 times a year.

We play various RPG's, and looking forward to playing your one. I will defo be upgrading to get the Colour GM Screen in the future, but there is only so much money in the pot.

Thanks for gearing up to do this project, I really look forward to reading the rules.

Regards,

Out2lunch

(Yes im the same Out2lunch on the Frontier board too, and pretty much any other fourm out there too).

Shipbuilder

Re: Helloooo

Post by Shipbuilder » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:15 pm

I'm also looking forward to playing this game.

I'm not quite sure what to expect at this stage (But that's a good thing).

And yes I'm Shipbuilder from the Oolite forum. ;)

Jack Schitt

Re: Helloooo

Post by Jack Schitt » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:44 pm

In lieu of an official "introduce yourself" thread I'm going to continue in this one.

My forum name here, Jack Schitt, is one I've used for several online games over the years and is the same one I use in the official Frontier forums. Alas I was tipped the nod that the name probably wouldn't pass Frontier's profanity test for the game proper, so in Elite Dangerous I will be known as Commander Kevin Reilly, much as I am in real life. Except for the Commander bit.

I'm 42, and have been an Elite player on and off since 1985, starting with quick games on the school's BBC Micro when the maths teacher wasn't looking then progressing to versions on my own ZX Spectrums and Commodore Amigas. I lost more time than I care to recall playing Frontier on the A500 and A1200 in the early 1990s, but fell a little out of love with the Elite franchise when I got my first PC in 1995 and finally played the rather disappointing and buggy First Encounters.

I've dabbled with various space-based games in the intervening years, from obvious Elite-lite clones like the X series and Galaxy On Fire 2 to largely forgotten gems like Hardwar which, although set in a much more closed universe than Frontier, managed to capture the spirit of Elite like no other game I know. Later, projects such as JJFFE, GLFrontier and Oolite helped me keep my hand in the Elite universe but, despite some interesting and passionate discussions on alt.fan.elite throughout the 2000s I had pretty much given up on the idea of Elite IV until the ED Kickstarter appeared out of the blue.

Elite Dangerous really has a lot to live up to and with many of the old-school players now in our late 30s and early 40s this may well be the last chance for what I still consider to be the purest of space-based games. I am under no illusion that there's any middle ground on this one. Elite Dangerous will, for me at least, either be the best PC space game ever or the most crushing disappointment.

From the preview videos and artwork and the passion and dedication I've seen so far from Frontier Developments, the Kickstarter pledgers and the ED community, I have high confidence it'll be the former.

As for Elite Encounters, although my role-playing glory days are well behind me I do have something of a soft spot for well-written physical game books. I've owned several Dungeons & Dragons source books over the years despite having never played a single game, and I still have the three MegaTraveller rulebooks from the mid 1980s sitting on my bookshelf even though I was still at school the last time I actually played it.

But Encounters sounds very promising, and it's set in the Elite universe which is, of course, not a million miles from that of Traveller, so I stumped up for the POD edition. There's a slim chance I'll be able to find a small group of similar middle-aged nerds to actually play it with, but more likely it'll simply become another piece of source material for the suddenly very expanding Elite universe.

Either way, it's something to look forward to!

LCplCombat

Re: Helloooo - Introduce Yourself

Post by LCplCombat » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 pm

Commander Izit reporting. Official Drabble writer from Kickstarter :D Still waiting to hear if it's been accepted by Frontier.

Bifford

Post by Bifford » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Greetings Programs :)

Sam "Bifford" here. Amiga officionardo and Frontier: Elite lover. RPG and LARPer of a number of years, currently into Legend (Mongoose) and Call of Cthulhu :) Looking forward to this game and will paypal for the personalised POD book and colour GM screen when I have the funds! :D

deepfriedmal

Post by deepfriedmal » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:03 pm

Name is Mal and I play in a band called Deep Fried Bananas thus Deepfriedmal... eventually managed to log in after completing the survey and looking forward to the RPG and of course the full game next year. Glad to support the games..

Mal

Selezen
Site Admin

Post by Selezen » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:58 am

Yay, welcome everyone! Thanks for your patience through the problems with the forum.

Maybe I should use the Introduction forum to introduce myself too!

My name's Dave, and I'm an Elite addict.

I played original Elite (well, the Spectrum version) in 1985 and never really stopped. Wasn't much of a fan of Frontier and First Encounters and have tried my level best to keep the flame of original Elite alive for as long as I can.

I'm also a big fan of roleplaying games, hence my project to write one. I'm just AMAZED that I'm getting the chance to write one based on the game that's been a constant present in my life for nearly 30 years.

:-)

ak-73

Post by ak-73 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi, I'm Alex, I'm 40 years old, from Germany, very extensive Pen & Paper RPG experience (in fact my forum participation contributed to changes in the Deathwatch RPG and to huge changes to the beta of Dark Heresy v 2.0), been a huge fan of the original Elite (C 64 version, in my case). Did get only Deadly back then but managed to reach Elite on a C 64 emulator last year. ;)

For Elite:Dangerous I reserved the name Jason Ryder. I hope y'all know who that is (the killed father of the protagonist in The Dark Wheel).

Alex

PS Unfortunately I don't see a development forum.

Selezen
Site Admin

Post by Selezen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:15 pm

Hellooooo, Alex and welcome to the forum.

You should be able to see the Development forum now. :-)

ShaunGibson

Post by ShaunGibson » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:21 am

Hi,

JeffRyan from the FD forums and Shaun Gibson on facebook. I do regret using the JR name on FD because that's been my online identity for years but I feel that because I'm posting and talking as ME, my RL name would actually make more sense.

I'm 36, avid rpger back in the day and I still love reading rpg books but don't play much because italians don't get rping for story, it's all about 'computer games on the tabletop'.

For the record I can't remember what I pledged here at, that whole period is a bit of a blur.